Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Tutoring

Early last month, my college dean asked me to tutor her niece in Math for the UPCAT (that's University of the Philippines College Admissions Test, for those of you who are unfamiliar with the acronym). Now, this seems like an ordinary circumstance except for the fact that it reeks of irony.

Undeniable, blatant, potent irony.

The former-UP-student-who-failed-Math-N-times is asked to tutor Math for the UP entrance exams. What's wrong with this picture? But the dean (who was also my adviser in UP before she was pirated by the private institute) seemed pretty confident that I could handle high school Math. My Calculus failures didn't seem to matter that much in the situation, so I agreed to tutor.

Besides, I did pass the UPCAT. With scores high enough to admit me to UP Manila for the BS Physical Therapy program and to UP Diliman for the BS Computer Engineering program - both of which are quota courses, if I may not-so-humbly add. (ahem! LOL)

Cyrielle's an amusing kid. Before we started, I thought I'd have a hard time with her because of her private Catholic school upbringing and her privileged life (and all the other implications of those things). I thought that she'd be this stuck-up, bratty, rich kid who was a pain in the neck. But she's not. She's basically just a funny and bubbly girl. Her aunt would constantly remind her to sit properly and not just slump down on the chair. Skirts. Thank heavens I'm not in high school anymore.

Anyway, she seemed pretty eager to learn which made it easier for me. I was afraid that I would have to force myself into someone who had no interest in what I have to share. And she's not slow at all. Just a little careless, especially with integer operations. ("Negative five plus negative three is equal to ... uhm, negative two?" Awright.)

Cy calls me "Ate Cecil", out of respect. I am, after all, a good couple of years her senior. What I like most about tutoring her is having a sense of responsibility. I'm the youngest in the family and didn't have that many chances to be the one to give advice on something I have previous experience in. So this was a change of role for me. When we're done solving algebra and trigo problems, Cy would ask me about UP and other things that might be useful to her. I share with her practical things that can't be learned through academics.

Don't spend too much time on a single item. Skip the long ones and just come back to them if you have time left. If you are absolutely clueless on a question, don't answer it at all; the UPCAT is a right-minus-wrong exam. Pace yourself; estimate the longest possible time you can spend on one number. Get enough rest the night before. Eat chocolates. Bring your favorite small object -- like a brightly-colored eraser or a shiny paperweight; the exam is five hours long, it would be relaxing to look at something cheerful and familiar every once in a while instead of black and white paper all throughout the whole duration.

The last advice was actually given to me by a distant cousin back when I was about to take the Pisay exams. He's an alumnus of the prestigious high school and eventually finished two courses in college with honors. Come to think of it, he became a little crazy for a while because of his mental exertions so I'm not so sure that I should've given his advice to someone else. Hmm.

One of the things I've learned through this tutoring experience is that teaching is not a joke. I took it seriously. I always prepared my materials whenever we have a session. I read and studied everything in advance, although it's like I was just reviewing my high school Math. I made sure I had alternate solutions so I can pick one which can be understood more easily. I didn't take it lightly because I knew that whatever I say will be accepted as truth and that anything that I'm unsure of will be confusing more to whoever listens to me. If I was not able to show up for a session, I text Cy in advance so she won't wait for me and I tell her my reason and apologize if it was any inconvenience for her. And I'm never late. Never.

If only some of my own instructors have the same ethics. Some of them just, frankly speaking, suck.

It's a tough responsibility, but also one that is fulfilling. After a long and bloody solution that leads to a simple and correct answer, Cy would grin widely and say, "That's so amazing!" And I find that so cool, because I feel that I'm somehow instrumental in her appreciation of the subject.

On the day of her UPCAT exam, we met for an hour, but we didn't discuss about Math. We just talked about her plans, and her state of nerves. She was so relaxed that morning while I was the one who was filled with tension. I couldn't stop worrying about her the whole afternoon while she took the exam and wondered how she was doing. Later that night, she texted me. "Ate Cecil, thanks for all the help. Most probably I'm going to pass and it's because of you, really. Take care and God bless. Thanks for your prayers. =)"

I was so touched that she thought about thanking me when the real work's actually on her end. I was just so relieved that her exam went well and I really wish that she indeed passed it. I sure as hell didn't have that same confidence after I took the UPCAT. I never really expected that I would pass it. And to think that I have the co-ed advantage.

Oh, I forgot to tell you about the co-ed advantage. One of the things that Cy asked me was if the examinees were arranged by school. I told her no; that they would be arranged by the examination slip numbers.

"So there will be boys in the same room taking the exam?"

"Huh?" I didn't get the question. Of course, there will be boys taking the exam, too.

"I mean, students from other schools will be taking the exam with us. Some of them will be boys, right?"

Omigod. I forgot she has always been an exclusive all-girls Catholic school student.

"Yeah, Cy, there'll be boys around. I know you're not used to that, but just don't get distracted."

There'll be plenty of time for that when you're in college. Loads of time. Even loads more of distractions.

No comments: