Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Nothing but the tooth.


Ordinarily, being at home on a workday is something to look forward to. This Wednesday seems to be an exception.

I'm holing up in my room with a sharply bitter taste of anesthesia in my mouth, a drilled hole in my tooth, and a tongue that feels like it has doubled in size. Welcome to the first day of treatment of my impromptu root canal therapy.

When I found that my tooth had a slight underside crack, I did not hesitate to see the dentist. I honestly thought it would be a simple filling. Even as a kid, I was never one of those people who were afraid of dental appointments. I have a high threshold for pain, I'm not particularly scared of needles, and most importantly, I like to take care of my teeth. But lo and behold, after a thorough dental assessment, some drilling, and an x-ray later, it was found that my poor tooth was far worse than I thought it was.

The only way to save the tooth was through an RCT. Having it extracted was out of the question. I also remember my mother was adamant about keeping our original teeth. And so it goes. After more than an hour of keeping my mouth open, I now have a tooth in WIP therapy, a sore jaw, and a side of the mouth I'm not allowed to chew with. On top of that, I'm also out a couple of thousand pesos. And here's the best part of it all: I have two more weeks of these dental visits! So excited! [/sarcasm]


No comments: