Wednesday, June 29, 2011

If symptoms persist...

Monday found me having wheezing breath.

I felt my lungs were lined with thick mucus that I could not get rid off. They just stick there, resilient and unwilling to let go of my bronchial tubes, no matter how hard I try to cough them out. My apologies to those who are queasy and found that description disgusting. My breathing, though not laborious, was uncomfortable. Fortunately, I work from home on Mondays and was still able to clock in my hours. However, the moment Luz  came home, I welcomed her with my whining that I could not breathe properly. One of the many perks of having a great friend and med student as a housemate.

She got her stethoscope and listened to my chest for a bit before agreeing that my breathing was clogged and that I needed a mucolytic (Uhm, "mucus thinner" for the layperson). The type of mucolytic she asked me to take was one that she found effective beforehand. It's called Fluimucil® and it comes in sachets of powder. It is taken by drinking the water you dissolve it in. To give you an idea of what it tastes like, imagine dissolving quarter of a teaspoon of powdered orange juice in a tall glass of water. It only leaves a very slight hint of flavor that it might as well be drinking water from a previously unwashed juice glass. Anyway.

Wednesday found me having unpleasant coughs.

The meds are taking effect. I'm not a wheezer anymore, but a cougher. A quality that is not appreciated in public transportation, I might add. Thankfully, my lunchmates were more sympathetic. Although it is Lanie's persistent curiosity on my mucolytic that has prompted me to look up the pharmacology of Fluimucil®:

Fluimucil contains N-Acetylcysteine, a mucolytic agent. It reduces the viscosity of bronchial secretions. The free sulphydryl group in Fluimucil breaks the disulphide bridges present in the mucus & thereby causes mucolysis. Further, in the mucus producing cells, Fluimucil prevents the formation of disulphide bonds & thereby regulates the viscosity of the mucus. Also, as a precursor of glutathione, an endogenous antioxidant, Fluimucil ensures a protective action on the respiratory system. Thus, it not only protects the respiratory function, but also improves it.

That made very little sense to me, but I'm hoping whatever's in it will make Thursday find me much, much better than today.

--

Disclaimer: This blog is in no way affiliated with Zambon Switzerland, the manufacturer of Fluimucil®. For medication, please consult your doctor. Or if you're lucky, your almost-qualified roommate.

No comments: