Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Heroism

"Why is there a Rizal subject in every course?"

I was standing alone in the hallway when I heard the professor inside the adjacent classroom asked the question in a loud voice. None of his students spoke up, probably stumped.

"Because it's required by the freaking law," I muttered lowly to myself.

The professor broke his classroom's silence inside. "Because in the 1960's, Senator Laurel principally authored a bill stating that all college students have to finish a 3-unit Rizal course as a requirement for graduation."

Damn, I'm good.

"Who among you here are willing to die for your country? Raise your right hand."

I grinned at the question. I was alone and was not feeling self-conscious in reacting to what I was hearing. This could be interesting, I thought.

Silence again from the students. No one was stirring, I could sense.

"No one? No one at all?" There was amusement in the way the professor asked his class. "I would've exempted from the finals those who raised their hands. You know why? Because you don't need to attend my class if you're ready to die for your country. You don't need to learn about Rizal's life. Because you have already imbibed Rizal's values."

Interesting. I spent the rest of the time wating for my next class thinking about what the Rizal professor said.

Would I be willing to die for my country? I don't know. Maybe I would be, but then again, maybe not. I just don't know.

Even if I knew that I would get finals exemption if I raised my hand, I still probably wouldn't have. It feels wrong to pretend to be sure when you doubt yourself.

No comments: