Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry (and not-so-merry) Christmas Thoughts

I remember our old Christmas tree when we were small kids. It was white and we trimmed it with red strawberries and gold discs. Even at that age, I felt there was something off about having a white pine tree growing strawberries (Duh?). But my sister and I have always liked helping put up that tree every year. After it has been assembled, my mom would turn off all the lights in the living room and turn on the Christmas tree lights. I thought it was really pretty.

Best part of passing by our tree was the hugging. The tree. Yes, we hugged our tree. My sister especially likes the bristly feel of the leaves on her face and arms. Weird? Hmm, I don’t know. It seems such a waste to put up an argument. It’s just funny remembering. It overwhelms me with nostalgia.

After high school, we stopped putting up the tree. I don’t even know where it is now. You see, we moved around quite a lot when we were younger. And no, my father is not from the military - typical question I am always asked. Anyway, it’s probably one of the boxes in my aunt’s storage room in the province. Or it might have been given away. I know there are a lot of other things I wish were given away instead.

In our house, Christmases – and other special occasions - consist of long distance phone conversations to relatives with increased speaking volume and nonstop loud laughter. But I still miss my Kuya terribly. But it’s ok. Although his presence won’t be replaced, I’m thankful that we can get to talk to him over YM video calls. Ah, the wonders of technology. It allows me to spend Christmas Eve lounging in my bed, making this blog entry, munching on an apple, while season three of Friends is playing in the DVD. But before you judge me, I already did my part in the kitchen duties, I’ll have you know. Food photography is considered a great help, right? Besides, I’m doing them all a favor by keeping my “help” in the kitchen to a minimum. I can practically hear my mother’s sigh of relief. At least she doesn’t have to hold her breath whenever I handle any of her breakable pyrex. Haha…

To all of you who are spending the holidays at home with your families, and those who are unfortunately not, do have a joyful holiday season. It’s been one helluva year for me. Just read all my whining in previous blog posts. But I’m glad I went through all that because it makes me appreciate what I have now. Besides, I don’t want to spoil His birthday by being my whiney self.

Have a very meaningful Christmas everyone! Let’s not forget to send cheers to the celebrant. :)

No comments: