Sunday, December 23, 2007

My soul's sovereignty

My last company performance evaluation was somewhat interesting. Actually, there was only one comment that stood out for me: I always look sad. And more interestingly enough, everyone I asked agreed with it. Of course, each one had their own way of phrasing it as diplomatically as they could. Like, I always seemed preoccupied or worried over something. Or that I have a vacant expression when I’m by myself. Or that I space out more.

My mother says that although I seem to move with sufficient energy everyday – waking up early, commuting, working, coming home late – it is in my eyes that she can tell how I tired I really am. Mothers. How can you beat that? I don’t have to tell her anything and one look at my eyes, she’s convinced of a diagnosis. Preinstalled sensitivity homing device, I tell you.

And of course, some people have theories on why I am this way: It’s the maintenance project that’s dragging me down, or the fact that my best friend at work has resigned a few months ago. Or that I found multiple typographical and grammatical errors in an email, nyahaha.

Alright, so I may not be the best model for any of the perky multivitamins brands right now, but I believe I’m handling things okay. I’m far from being Wednesday Addams, thank you very much. Although our taste in wardrobe color is not too far off. What you might want to know about me, I can take sadness. We go a looong way back. And no one really needs to know why I’m in this place, they just have to take my word for it that I know how to get out of it. I just don’t know when.

Next time any of you see my expression wandering off to depressionville, give me a nudge. Let’s sing “Favorite Things” together. The one from “The Sound of Music”, not the one by Incubus.

Hmm, although the latter could do the trick just as well, if not better.

No comments: