Thursday, January 22, 2009

Grackle Gone AWOL*

So I came to work today and found that my machine is not at my desk. The monitor is still there, but the system unit is nowhere in sight. The only indication that it was ever there was the remnants of unplugged power cables hanging in the desk.

The pictures and notes that were stuck by magnets on the system unit now lay flat on my table, beside the origami and toys that were also on top of it. I stood a good couple of seconds unmoving, still wearing my bag, trying to rack my brains for a reason. I was in this state when Karl came up from behind and in his usual bickering tone said, "O! Asan machine mo? Sinesante ka na!"

Of course not. Well, hopefully not, I thought to myself.

So where is my mysterious missing machine? Fortunately, one of my workstation neighbors informed me that it was the admin who took Grackle for transfer. I approached the admin desk and asked where and why it was moved. Apparently, they received an email late last night that I was the one who was going to train the new batch of developers for the first module of web development. Actually, this was the original plan but I was pulled out from training duty for some other task.

Yes, I train HTML, CSS, and Javascript. My site is so lame that it's almost embarrassing to admit it openly. This one I use is even just a downloaded theme, for crying out loud. But somewhat as a defense, just know that we focus more on the the code structure and not the aesthetics. (Pathetic excuse, I know.)

Anyway, I confirmed with Miss Tara whether there was indeed a mix-up or if I was really going to train that day, for some reason. She told me, "Ok na, nag-email na ako. Sinisi na kita."

Oh. It was embarrassed to be told that it was my fault all along. Was I was supposed to inform the admin that I was pulled out from training? I started to apologize but I eventually found out that Miss Tara meant that she CC'ed me in the email. Not that she blamed me. CC - carbon copy. Sisi - put to blame.

Haay. Miscommunication. Look how that turned out for Romeo and Juliet. At least, the only tragedy for me is just the few frantic and paranoid moments of unemployment.

--

*Grackle is my machine name. It is a kind of blackbird. Our company names our network machines after animals, plants, and sometimes mythical creatures like Nazgul and Basilisk. Wouldn't it be cool if we had Marsh-wiggle or Dufflepud? :)

No comments: