Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sectioning

Do you still remember your section names in school?

My friends and I were having dinner at Shakey's when we started testing the pens I just bought by writing down our names in the paper place mats. I buy pens needlessly, by the way. Just for the heck of having them. Just those that write well, not necessarily expensive ones.

Anyway, Luz was saying that if I wrote down my full name when I was a kid in school, it wouldn't fit in the width of the grade-one blue-red-blue-lined pad paper. Because we had nothing much else to do while waiting for our food, we tried to write my long name, repeating it again and again until we were satisfied that we got the right blue-to-blue height.

So the conclusion was: my name can fit in the grade one paper. But only barely. If I had to place the date or my section on the right portion, I'd be writing on the armchair. Thus began the spontaneous recalling of our section names since preschool. Here are mine:

Prep:
Senior Casa - Beige
Grade school:
I - Blue
II - Blue
III - Red
IV - Red
V - Green
VI - St. Paul
High School:
I - Archimedes
II - Darwin
III - Avogadro
IV - Einstein

You can tell from the sections the times when I switched schools. Luz didn't recall much of her elementary. Her high school sections are:

I - Opal
II - Sampaguita
III - Strontium
IV - Gluon

She did better in remembering her advisers' names, though. I could only recall three or four. If I have any classmates out there reading this, drop me a line if you still remember their names.

Try to recall your section names and class advisers to see if you did better than us. I'm starting to believe that we are just getting too old to retain these memories. And I'm blogging about it because the harder I try to fall asleep, the more awake I become.

So insomnia, you win.

No comments: