Friday, March 27, 2009

"No, they're not overalls."

It was Monday when I met her. Ok, "meet" might be the wrong verb to use. Let's try that again. It was Monday when she weirded me out.

Typical day. I entered the building through the Pearl Drive entrance. I rushed to the elevators when I saw one of the green lights blinking. I missed it by two seconds and I swore under my breath. I'm a very tense person. Tension and the elevators at my office building do not go well together. And swearing is a natural byproduct of such unfortunate combination.

Anyway, I was waiting for the next upward elevator when a girl suddenly addressed me. I probably have ignored her the first few times she spoke. I have a very limited peripheral vision - not really optical in nature, I just don't care much for what's happening around me. So I am apologizing in advance to everyone whom I will unintentionally ignore. I have tapahoho.

So this girl started asking about the jacket which I was carrying over one arm. She actually asked if it was overalls. You know - the work clothes of those who do heavy manual labor. Yes, it's bright orange, but really - I come off as the type who needs to bring overalls to work?

I politely told her that no, it was just my company jacket. And then she started off with a series of questions that made that exchange one of the weirdest I ever had with a total stranger.

---

Where do you work?

I pointed to the embroidery in my jacket.

She pronounced it weirdly.

I spelled it out for her.

What is the nature of your work?

I'm a software developer.

IT company, too?

Yes.

[Elevator door opens and we both get in.]

She rattles on about how she works for an IT company on the 32nd floor. They have offices on other floors of the building, as well. Some other details of her office I don't recall now.

I nod.

Which floor is your office?

28th.

How many years have you been working there?

Almost four.

Pretty long.

Yeah.

What is your name?

Cecil.

Do you have a business card?

No, none on hand right then.

She whips out her phone and hands it to me. If I can just input my number, please.

I was soooo tempted to input a fake number, but I couldn't get myself to lie. So I obligingly typed in my number.

She spelled out my name. Is that correct?

Sure, anything works.

[Elevator stops at my floor and doors open]

I'll text you, she says.

Ahm, ok.

[I step out.]

Nice to meet you, she calls out.

[Elevator door closes behind me]

What the heck was that.

---

I suppose it is expected that some of the people whom I've told this story to thought it was a pretty dumb idea to give out all those personal details. I don't know, I guess I believe in the goodness of every person. Or it was just too early in the morning that I wasn't really sure of what was happening. I plead guilty to gullibility due to sleep deprivation.

The rest of that day passed by without a word from my elevator acquaintance. I thought it was something that I could already just charge to experience. But very late Tuesday night, while I was talking on the phone with my friend Luz, another call beeped in from an unregistered number. I put Luz on hold and answered it.

---

Hi. Cecil?

Hmm, yeah. Who is this?

It's Abigail. We met recently.

[long pause] Who?

Abigail. We work in the same building. We met last Monday.

Oh.

Don't you remember?

I think I remember. From the elevator, right?

Yes, in the elevator. Is this a bad time? Can you talk now?

Actually, I have my friend on hold in the other line.

Oh, I see. Can I call you back? Can you text me so I can call you back?

Ah, sure.

Ok, thanks!

[End call, activate Luz's line]

Luuuuuz! The weird girl from the elevator just called! What does she want from me?!

---

I'm betting it's sales. She's in IT, but she sidelines in sales. Somewhat unlikely, but possible. Or she's in IT, but sidelines in derangement. More plausible.

Abigail, if you're out there in blogosphere: I already have life insurance. I'm not interested in buying or selling. And just to cover all possible bases: I'm not interested in a cult movement. Nor phone pals and textmates. I'm also straight and have no lesbian tendencies.

No comments: