Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Is there a plumber in the house?

It happened so fast that I'm not really sure how it happened exactly. Maybe it has something to do with my sleep deprivation and fatigue. Maybe. But that theory wouldn't really explain how I managed to knock down my bathroom sink and faucet.

Yes, my dear ladies and gentlemen, I am (dis)pleased to announce that my carelessness has reached monumental levels. I have already graduated from petty crashes and minor damages. I am now experienced in the destruction of plumbing fixtures, as per my demonstration early this morning.

All I know is: I was reaching for the soap. (That's my defense, your honor.) The next thing I knew, the whole sink fell off from its hook on the wall. On its way down, it hit the water valve of the other faucet and knocked the whole thing off from the wall.

So there I was, bleary-eyed from just waking up from not-enough sleep, soap in one hand, trying to process the whole scenario before me. The sink was awkwardly dangling on the wall, supported only by the silver tube thingy (the only thing that didn't come off the wall). The whole faucet handle was on the floor and there was water gushing out from the hole in the wall where it should have been. There was water everywhere! A mini-hydrant geyser right inside my freaking bathroom!

I wish I had a video of myself at that exact moment. (I bet a lot of people who dislike me would want one, too). All I could think of was: HUH?! What the heck happened?!

Now, the slow thought processing may be attributed to tiredness. It has been one looooong weekend from me. Last friday, I had some of my subjects encoded. Saturday noon, I left for Manila with my mom via Superferry. We arrived Sunday morning. We got home in Antipolo early afternoon. I left for the airport early Monday morning. Waited awhile at the PAL Centennial terminal before acquiring a ticket. Left at 3 o'clock. Arrived in Cebu an hour later but there was a downpour at Mactan so I finally got back here at the dorm at 6.30 already. All this time, I didn't have enough rest. When I woke up at 6 am this morning, I was nothing short of a zombie. So, there. I rest my case.

Eventually, I realized that I had to do something other than just stare at the mess. I carefully lifted the sink and hooked it back into the metal fittings on the wall. I picked up the valve and tried the suppress the water flow with it. No use. I went out of my room to ask for help and the good thing was, Alvin, the utility guy was sweeping the dorm corridor. I gave him the jist of the situation. He took a second to look at the indoor waterfalls and said that he'd be right back. I sat down and waited for him to get back, silently hoping that my floor won't get flooded. When Alvin came back, I thought he brought a wrench or a screwdriver or whatever the heck is used for that kind of situation. Instead, he brought a piece of cylindrical wood. It is from a tree branch that he had cut down. Hesitantly, I asked him what it was for. He said he would just plug the gushing hole temporarily until he could call someone to fix it later in the day.

Hnh.

To make a long, stupid story short, I unplugged the hole when I took a bath and when I was done, I plugged it back in. Could any other morning be weirder?

Anyway, I finished my enrollment (finally!) before noon. I went back to the dorm at around 4 pm. When I saw Alvin outside the building, I asked him if my faucet was fixed.

"Ate, hindi pa naayos kasi walang ano... yung ano..." He gestured with his hands.

Steering wheel? headband? Needless to say, I'm not good at the charade of plumbing tools.

"Sige, 'Vin. Bukas na lang." I didn't have the time to wait for the actual name of the missing tool.

"Oo, 'te, paaayos ko na lang bukas."

I can't get over it. Until tomorrow, I have a twig for a faucet.

No comments: