Monday, June 21, 2004

Monday Blues

There's something wrong with her, I thought to myself.

She has been talking nonstop to me for the past twenty minutes. I have been staring blankly back at her and I was beginning to wonder whether there was anything in my expression that was egging her to go on with her twaddle.

I hoped that our instructor would arrive shortly so I would be spared from the verbal relay of my seatmate's lifestory to me. She paused for a while and caught her breath. She told me that she was really talkative by nature (no kidding?!) and asked me whether her chitchat was starting to get on my nerves. Of course not, I said.

Aaargh. Damn my courtesy and political correctness.

And so she went right back to it. She started to tell me about how she met a cute guy in a disco club last summer and how the guy asked her to be his girlfriend that same night and without letting a moment pass, she acceded. That's the reason why even if she lives two rides away, she opted to go to enrol at the school because the guy was an engineering major there. Now, here's the clincher. They haven't seen each other again since the night they met. She all said this matter-of-factly.

There's something terribly wrong with her, I thought to myself.

I tuned her out for a while. This was my first week at my new school and I am amazed on how much there is to adjust to. This is probably a good thing so I can practice my flexibility. It pays to be a well-adjusted person. I just hope it pays well in cash. Hehe. =)

Anyway, back to my seatmate. She was saying something about how she was so embarrassed during her class earlier that day because when asked about her own definition of psychology, she couldn't think of anything to say. I nodded and smiled at her sympathetically. She was really friendly and I wanted to be nice to her in return.

When it was clear that our instructor was a no-show, I started to put away my things. Miss Talkative abruptly asked me out of nowhere, "Kinsa'y uyab nimo?"

I literally choked and coughed out loud. How weird of her to ask such a personal question when I barely know her. Besides, the question was unexpected. I told her that I wasn't in a relationship because I am preoccupied with a lot of things and have no time to look for headaches.

Something about the way she gawked at me told me that she didn't get my answer and the intended humor went over her head.

Sigh.

Man, I hope my M-W-F's will not always start out like this.

No comments: