Friday, June 11, 2004

Transition Period

The past few days, I find myself walking a lot. It's crazy, really. It's like I'm some kind of participant in a walkathon with no finish line. I've been following up my transfer credentials in my old school and I've also been processing my enrollment in my new school. (At this point, let's disregard the whole story on why I'm switching schools. It's a different story altogether. One that involves anger, denial, acceptance, and sudden surging attacks of terroristic tendencies against heartless, inconsiderate, power-tripping college administrators.)

I'm okay. *breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out...* I'm fine.

Anyways.

Lahug and Labangon are not in close proximity. I should know. I've been going back and forth these places as if I'm hopscotching. The jeepney route 12L (Ayala - Labangon) has become my closest friend. I'm considering naming my firstborn Twelve El. I just don't think any of my friends would want to be godparents of a kid named after a transportation route.

The technical institute I'll be attending has a sprawling campus. Lots of walking involved. The departments are located in separate buildings. More walking involved. Its buildings have multiple floors. Even more walking involved.

When I was trying to have my subjects evaluated, I had to go around all the other departments and colleges to have my units signed. My majors subjects are in the College of Computer Studies, naturally. But the minor ones are scattered all around. So there I was, being my usual absentminded self, staring with mouth agape at the room numbers on top of the doors. Thrice, I walked past the department I was looking for. Three freaking times. Gosh, I can be imbecilic at times.

The Math department was in the third floor. The Physics department was in the fourth. Good thing I asked beforehand where both departments were. Can you imagine if I went up all the way to Physics and then went all the way down again, not knowing that I passed Math? The horror! I would've clubbed myself to unconsciousness. I felt like if I had to climb any more steps, I'd reach the stairway to heaven in no time.

It also doesn't help me that I'm such a klutz. There were a couple of times I tried to enter the wrong doors. Particularly in the EDP, I forcefully tried to open and shove the glass door a couple of times before I noticed the people inside who have been trying to get my attention and motioning to me to use the other entrance. Aargh. So embarrassing. I almost considered not going inside.

I also left ALL my papers with the guy who encoded my classes. The stupid thing was, I remembered to come back and get my ballpoint from him, but I left all the important papers I have been processing all week. Blame it on my pen fetish. The guy was nice enough to come down and look for me to hand me my papers. But I don't attribute that incident totally to my klutziness. The people at the room were watching NBA and the encoder and I had to literally yell to each other to hear ourselves amidst the boisterous cheers and loud conversations.

Now, the guy to girl ratio of the school, as I roughly estimated, is 5:1. It's a man's world. Which is understandable, as most students there are either engineering or architecture majors. My friend Sweet Honesty (yep, that's her real name) is an ECE major and she was once enrolled in a class where out of 40 students, she was the only girl. If I was one of those "so-many-boys-so-little-time" kinda person, I'd be delighted. But, I'm not.

More likely, "So many chances to make a fool of myself, so little time."

No comments: