Sunday, May 30, 2004

WeeBee

I woke up at three in the afternoon.

I was nursing a slight headache. I wouldn't categorize it as exactly a hangover, but it's the closest thing I could get to one. After all, I only had one bottle of beer. Which is all I can take because I'm allergic to alcohol.

It was my first day back in Cebu, my favorite city. I love this place. Our family has lived a somewhat nomadic lifestyle because we moved around quite a bit. In fact, right now, we're "geographically distributed". I'm here in Western Visayas, my dad's in Central Luzon, My mom's in Northern Mindanao, my sister's in the National Capital Region and my brother's in Misamis Oriental (I forgot the regional name of this one ;).

Of all the places I've stayed in, Cebu is special to me. Because it's well-developed, but it's not as crazy as Manila. It's not as crowded and it's not as polluted. Everything is so accessible - the pier, the airport, the mall, the schools, and even the resorts. There are tiny little details about the place that makes it unique. But I guess its people also contribute to this because generally Cebuanos are cool.

My friends, for example, are great people. They may be a little crazy sometimes, but I think that adds to their charms. Yesterday, for example, the reason we went out is because Abad (we all call her by her family name) had a sudden urge to sing "Eye of the Tiger" in karaoke.

After they sang to their hearts' content, we went to Dunkin' Donuts and talked about a lot of things over coffee and hot chocolate until sunrise. And these people can talk about anything. And I mean, anything. Books, movies, television, celebrities, careers - anything. I remember that the conversation even veered towards sexually transmitted diseases. How it got to that I couldn't quite exactly recall.

It was half past five in the morning when we all decided to go home. They all walked me to my building which was just a few blocks away. It was nice - strolling along OsmeƱa Boulevard, laughing together about shallow things, while the sun makes it slow appearance.

I didn't get to sleep right away when I got home. My allergy was starting to act up and my itchy skin was somewhat uncomfortable. But I've had worse attacks than that one. I watched some TV before dozing off.

No comments: